Prevalence Rates of Alcohol, Drug or Behavioral Addictions
Prevalence of Adult Alcohol Problems
- About 37% drink non-problematically and are low risk for overuse or medical consequences.
- About 28% drink at heavy or at-risk levels (e.g., amount, frequency, speed of intake).
- Over 25% engage in binge drinking (e.g., 4-5 drinks or more in 2hrs or less) on a monthly basis.
- About 7% engage in heavy alcohol use (e.g., binge drinking 5 or more days a month).
- Overall, about 10% are diagnosed with alcohol abuse/dependence, with 4% are alcohol dependent.
- Nearly a third of drinkers are “heavy/at risk” drinkers, vulnerable to addiction and/or medical consequences.
- About 10% of American adults consider themselves to be in recovery from alcohol, opioids, or other drugs.
Prevalence of Adult Drug Addictions
|Cannabis||10% casual use|
|3% psychological dependence|
|Nicotine||15% currently smoke|
Prevalence of Adult Compulsive Behavioral Addictions
|Compulsive Video Games||10% of youth gamers (ages 8-18)|
Overall prevalence of alcohol, drug, or behavioral addiction
Estimated to be about forty-seven percent (47%) of the adult population.
Addiction Treatment works; give it a chance!
Addiction has devastating effects on the health and quality of one’s life, and tremendous impacts on societal health. It is absolutely treatable, so do not let any outdated stigma about addiction issues, mental health issues, or treatment issues get in your way. Treatment works, so don’t delay in obtaining substance abuse counselor services. Begin to build your path to your healthiest self today!
Call us at 978-835-5000 or email us using the form below to allow us to help you “become your healthiest self.”
Substance Abuse Counselor
Drug and Alcohol Counselor
Drug and Alcohol Treatment